Re: Are TW Managers Doomed?

Subject: Re: Are TW Managers Doomed?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 00:37:48 -0700

>> Andrea makes a thought provoking comment:
>> I don't think you can be a good
>> writer AND a good manager, especially in a hectic environment. The
>> captain
>> of a ship can't navigate and row at the same time!

> Does this mean that a good technical writer who starts to manage forgets
how
> to do technical writing?

> Are managers doomed to never be taken seriously again as technical
writers?

Yes, when they obsess over one-off work. No when they keep writing.

What I see is a lot of pubs managers sitting around blathering about one-off
work, criticizing others, making inane decrees and reminiscing about the
days
when they actually did something remotely productive. Oh God, just thinking
about this makes me want to punch a tree.

I am remembering this Grand Larceny Moron I contracted for once a few years
back. This guy needed to have his nads irradiated so he couldn't pollute
the
gene pool any further. He was so excited to talk about his glorious project
plan. He took an insane amount of time to write a plan that was so distant
from
reality it needed to be committed to a sanatorium for psychotic project
plans.
What was really a travesty of humanity was how much money this brainless
twerp
made. Something like $85K to avoid phone calls and act busy.

Anyways, I always thought a good manager was a good role model and good
motivator. Managers who cannot (adequately) do what the people underneath
them
do are worthless meatsacks. How can you intelligently manage people when
you
cannot do what they do - at least with some minimal ability? You can't!
This
is why many of the top technology companies were started by former nerds and
not "team-focused, process guides" or whatever nonsense term they have for
managers these days. Do you think the people who started Sun Microsystems,
Apple, or Microsoft had a project plan, a style guide, or "management
reviews."

There is a similarity here to being a good tech writer. If you do not
understand the technology and or science you are writing about then how on
earth can you ever write anything remotely intelligent? Likewise, if you
cannot
manage effectively through example and leadership, then how on earth can you
expect to succeed? A good captain knows how to fix the warp drive in times
of
crisis.

The best pub managers I have seen are active writers and editors in their
team.
They lead by example. They demonstrate how they would do things rather than
TELLING people how to do things. Management tasks are secondary to seeing
that
product gets done and done well.

Hey, my cat just licked my foot. Nice kitty. On that note, I return you to
your tepid drudgery with a smile.

Andrew Plato

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=