Subject: Responses to PDF 4.0 questions---add a graphic; link to help s
From: Melinda Allen <MelindaA -at- MOBIUSG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 14:29:51 -0400

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions. I've summarized the
answers for the list here:

Question 1. "Is there any way to add a small graphic to an existing PDF
page? My
company's software produces reports. We want to explain specific sections of
these reports in a PDF. (PDF is the only way we can capture these reports.)
To do this, we want to add numbers (Wingding text or as a captured graphic)
over report columns. I tried selecting the Touchup Text Tool and
CRTL+clicking, but it doesn't work for me. Checking Adobe's product support
Web pages, they don't know why if works for some people and not for others."
(Side note from me: I don't have Illustrator.)

Answer: You can add a button, select ICON only, and specify
a PDF file to use as icon; maybe this supports other
graphics formats also. (Reinhard) (Side note from me: It worked easily! I
just had to make a PDF of my graphic because the Icon feature does not
support other graphic formats. My original workaround was to take the PDF
into CorelDraw and add my graphics there. It worked but made my file HUGE.
Reinhard's solution is the best!)

Question 2. "We ship an online PDF user's guide with our software. The guide
is a
conceptual manual and our online help is solely task-oriented. (We use
RoboHELP 7.0.) We want to link the two. Is there a way to call a specific
help topic from a PDF? Is there a way to point to a specific page in a PDF
from the online help? I know about destinations and use it in HTML, but how
about from a help system?" (Side note from me: It is easy to make a call to
a specific page in a PDF from an HTML source such as a Web page or HTML
help---just use the Destinations feature in Adobe Acrobat 4.0. It's also
possible in 3.x, but you have to manually code it and I'm not sure of the
process.)

Response:
It is possible to call a URL
from pdf markers (and from FrameMaker markers), so if your help is HTML
or JavaHelp, simply call the URL of the file using a relative path. Check
with
http://www.pdfzone.com, or http://www.dionis.com for some tools that may
be of use. (Mark Dempsey) (Side note from me: I wasn't able to try this
method. I'm using RoboHELP, not RoboHTML, and I don't have FrameMaker; we
use Word. If anyone can help with my situation, I would greatly appreciate
it!)

Thanks everyone!

Melinda Allen
Technical Communicator
Mobius Group, a unit of CheckFree Corporation
Research Triangle Park, NC
http://www.mobiusg.com

"An A is just three sticks to the uneducated."
---Eeyore

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=