Re: Is "WebTop" a real word?

Subject: Re: Is "WebTop" a real word?
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 08:25:27 -0400

Now there's a new one. Never heard of it before, and neither have my
dictionaries...

"Entry Page" is commonly used, though it's not the technical name for it
either. As far as I know, there is no technical name for the first page of a
Web site... though 9 out of 10 times the file name is "index.html"... so
perhaps contrary to conventional definition this could be called the "Index
Page"... but I like "Entry Page" better.

Note: "Splash Screen" is not the same thing. This has a definition, and it
is (basically) any "special effect" applied to the root URL before
displaying the actual first page of a site (those annoying multi-color,
seizure-inducing flashes would be an example).

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Aptis
a subsidiary of Billing Concepts
phone: 518.433.7698
fax: 518.433.7680
<mailto:wswallow -at- commsoft -dot- net>
<http://www.aptissoftware.com>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=