help with a strong word

Subject: help with a strong word
From: Betsy Maaks <bmaaks -at- TELLABS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:18:50 -0500

Chuck wrote:

The issue here is not how a techwriter should handle a dangerous
procedure but how the *programmers* should do it. If developers
have created a potentially fatal process, then let them fix it, not
expect techwriters to save their users.
--------------------------------

I work with hazardous electrical equipment. There is little that
a programmer can do to resolve the hazard. I have to use what
we call admonishments all the time: Caution, Warning, Danger.

Caution is a potential hazard to the component of the equipment.
Warning is a potential hazard to the operation of the equipment.
Danger is always potentially physical hazard to the user.

Examples:
Caution: Use an electrostatic dischard wrist strap when changing
the hard drive in your computer.
Warning: Pulling the electrical plug on the computer will cause it
to stop operating. You will lose all of the data that is
not saved.
Danger: Do not put your fingers into the electrical plug. This
can cause electrical shock and related health hazards.
-------------------------
Chuck also wrote:

In addition to these icons, I would include a Stop sign icon.

Just a note of caution: If you intend to distribute your documents
outside of the US, I would not suggest using stop signs, which
are not used outside of the US. When internationalizing a document,
ALWAYS research any icons you might use. Avoid hands, avoid
symbols (like stop signs); you don't want to inadvertently offend
your users.

--
Betsy Maaks Tellabs Operations, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=