Re: Telecommuniting: Dialling up my PC network on a Macintosh

Subject: Re: Telecommuniting: Dialling up my PC network on a Macintosh
From: Christi Carew <infinity -at- YOURHEAD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 11:38:40 -0700

<trimmed message>

I have researched a product called "Dave" (cute name) whose spiel says it
will do all that and more. (Info at http://tss1.thursby.com.)

The IT folks, of course, are rolling their eyes and snickering to each
other, "Why doesn't she get a *real* computer?" Let's just not even go
there, shall we??? If any of you out there want to tell me that, too, don't
bother.

I have all my cross-platform issues in line. Now, if I could only access my
files and my work e-mail account...

Any and all suggestions/experiences/etc. welcome.

Thanks,

Dina Davidson
Technical Publications Coordinator/Technical Communicator
Xantrex Technology Inc.
mailto:dinad -at- xantrex -dot- com

------------------------------

Dina,

I cheated on this one and emailed my husband who uses Dave. Here's his
reply.

I've used Dave 2.1 at work for some time. The company network is all
Windows NT based (including all the mail servers and printers). They have
absolutely no support for Macs, but with Dave I can access all the file
servers, mail servers, and printers. However I'll give just one warning.
Setting up Dave requires that you get some information about the NT network.
It's not quite as easy as AppleTalk (i.e. just plug it in). I had to call
the IT guys quite a few times and ask things like, "What's the WINS server
name and IP address?" For the most part they were helpful, but I think at
some point I must have asked a question that doesn't often get asked in
Windows-land and from then on I met with quite a bit of resistance. I
seemed to always get the response, "We'll help you when you get a 'normal'
computer." Nonetheless, I managed to help myself a little and ask as few
questions as possible and then things seemed to get worked out. One it's up
and running, it's really pretty much OK software.

The one unfortunate side effect is that my computer hangs now whenever the
NT network goes down, which is way too often.

Isaiah

Good Luck!

Christi

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=