Non-Acrobat PDF viewers

Subject: Non-Acrobat PDF viewers
From: Barbara Stuhlemmer <barbara -at- GROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:49:54 -0400

Hi everyone,

I just started in a new company that has several platforms that they install
their hardware or run their software on. They currently have all their
documentation in HTML (which doesn't print out that well). I wanted to get
the
manuals into a .PDF format, so that it can be read either on-line or printed
and used as a standard manual. I have run into a problem. Adobe does not
make
Acrobat reader for UnixWare or UNIX SCO platforms. This means, the products
for these two platforms could not have PDF files, for fear that the customer
may not have a Windows/Digital UNIX/ based system at the sight the product
is
installed, and thus, no way to access help. (Note, that these product does
not
come with a help files because it does not have a user interface. The
manual
would be more for hardware concerns.)

My question is, "Is there another product out there that reads PDF files,
since
PDF is a cross platform standard?

I am also trying to build a case for using PDF. I still have to search the
archives on this subject. I have had some interesting opinions on PDF vs.
on-line documentation. I would appreciate any information on studies that
have
been carried out (point me in the right direction) or your experiences.

Thanks so much

Barbara Stuhlemmer
The Software Group
barbara -at- group -dot- com