HTMLHelp/Topics and TOCs/Usability

Subject: HTMLHelp/Topics and TOCs/Usability
From: Dan Roberts <DRoberts -at- ISOGON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:40:03 -0400

Title: HTMLHelp/Topics and TOCs/Usability

I'm starting my first (RoboHTML) HTMLHelp project, but I'm a bit concerned about the relative usability of the TOC and the Related Topics button.

Background: My source doc has general topics about the application windows and the tasks a user can perform from them. Then, in subtopics, I've got procedures for performing tasks from the window described in the general topic. This method seemed to be generally well-received by the users.

Now I'm converting to HTMLHelp, and I'm a bit concerned about usability for the end users. They have a range of window/help/application experience. The only thing I've heard is that users want to perform a minimum amount of clicks. So I'm not sure which of the following methods might be most usable and effective for the users.

Online choices: Possible ways of converting the source doc structure (1topic:Mtasks) to online documentation:
1. Topics and tasks on the Contents tab. Each topic provides a list of jumps to tasks related to the topic.
2. Topics and tasks on the Contents tab, Each topic provides a "Related Tasks" button, which lists the jumps to tasks related to the topic.

3. Only Topics on the Contents tab. Each topic provides a list of jumps to tasks related to the topic.
4. Only Topics on the Contents tab, Each topic provides a "Related Tasks" button, which lists the jumps to tasks related to the topic.

The thing is, that in order to provide context sensitive help, I have to land the user on a general topic and then select the task that he wants information about (oops, dangling preposition <g>). I'm not sure if I can open up a help window that lists the general topic *and* the tasks that the user can perform (I guess this might be option 5, if I can do it).

My preferences: I think I prefer option 5, if I can do it. If not, I'm leaning to option 4, with options 2 and 3 in the pack, and option 1 trailing behind.

My question: Does anyone have any ideas about which of these approaches might be most usable for the end users? Any information/opinions/experiences would be useful.

Thanks!

Dan Roberts
droberts -at- isogon -dot- com