Re: Can someone learn to be detail-oriented?

Subject: Re: Can someone learn to be detail-oriented?
From: "Merrick, Tim" <tim -dot- merrick -at- LSIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:20:52 -0500

Jill,

I have some questions.

What were the "problems?" Are you saying that the "other tech writer" who
moved on was a slacker? Or are we talking about a difference in opinion and
work style?

Who is the "they" who will "prevent a recurrence of past problems by
providing more direct management/training." Are you saying that the person
to whom you report shares your assessment of the past problems and the
causes for them? If so, why are they putting another person in the position
who is not detail-oriented?

Who is telling you that your new co-worker is not detail-oriented? Where is
the evidence for this assessment?

Forgive me, but I hear in your post a tone that suggests that if your
co-worker is not like you, there will be problems. It might be helpful to do
some self-assessment as well as some assessment of your old and new
co-workers. For example, I applaud your commitment to being detail-oriented.
But does your new co-worker have to be as detail-oriented as you? Do they
have to follow exactly the same work practices as you, i.e., the "preventive
measures?" Beware of the self-fulfilling prophecy.

I think you will be much better served-and have fewer problems-if you
approach your new co-worker as a partner rather than a subordinate. If there
is a truly compelling need for the senior writer/junior writer hierarchy,
fine. For instance, maybe this new person has absolutely no experience as a
tech writer. If that is the case, then he or she needs your help. But what I
don't think they need is to be pressured into being a clone of you. Give the
person a chance, show some respect for their fresh perspective. Try to work
as a team and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I know this doesn't answer your specific questions, but I hope it helps. I
mean nothing personal by it.

Tim Merrick
Technical Publications
LSI Logic Storage Systems, Inc.