Re: What do you want to be called?

Subject: Re: What do you want to be called?
From: Nancy Smith <smithcds -at- ICI -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:58:46 -0400

Catharine Strauss wrote:
> I think these terms refer to a specific niche that
is related
> to, but not
> the same as, techwriting....
>
> I think the terms above refer more to people who
analyze,
> compile and make
> existing information available than they do to
people who write
> documentation.

I don't think I was ever called an Information
Engineer, but I was definitely a Knowledgeware
Analyst at my last company -- and the job was
exactly the same as had been for several years
before that: technical writing!

The difference was that the company wanted to change
the focus from hardcopy to electronic -- online
help, CD and Intranet distribution -- and came up
with the "jazzier" term. Although I believe a big
part of a technical writer's job involves analyzing
information, the jobs you describe above sound more
like the job of an SME -- "subject matter expert."

Nancy

> If it's not about technical communication,
don't post it!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Review the TECHWR-L Web site at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=