MS Word 97 Master doc (summary)

Subject: MS Word 97 Master doc (summary)
From: Stanley Smith <stansmith -at- TDK -dot- DK>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:32:07 +0200

The following is a summary of posts to my post regarding the Word 97 Master
document feature. Although I received lots of good info, I have yet to get
the damn thing to work!!! I'll keep trying.
Thanks to all who responded.

Most persons suggested (in this order):

1. Do not use this feature
2. Link files using RD field
3. Make sure files use same template
4. Create separate master doc files
5. Try the word-pc list
______________
I have used Word's master doc feature several times, and each time it
has not failed to fall below my low expectations. I wish that Word would
just go away. Sheldon Kohn.

Do not to use the Master Document feature in Word, apparently its
very buggy. Graham Bridge.

Do not use Master Document. Use RD fields and manually link your documents
into one. Ronald Schwartz.

Don't do it... that way lies pain, suffering, and deeply corrupted
documents. IMO, the master documents feature is too fragile for serious
use -- one small mistake can lose the lot. Geoff Lane.
______________
link your files together if you want to generate TOCs
and Indexes. This is done by using the RD field in Word. Graham Bridge.

linking the documents into a 'shell' document is fairly solid. To
link a document:
1. From the Insert menu, choose File.
2. In the Insert File dialog box, select the required file, select Link to
File. The other 'solution' is to use {RD} fields. Geoff Lane.

______________
If all files do not use EXACTLY the same styles, you are going to be in
for a major headache with the formatting. Horace Smith.

First of all, your 60 files should use the same template, no
embedded particular styles. Before adding the subdocs, create
the master document file based also on the same template.Mélissa
Kucbel-Saumier
______________
Try the word pc list at
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/CGI-BIN/WA.EXE?SUBED1=word-pc&A=1
Ellen Ewald.
______________
what has worked for me is to create a separate file called
master.doc. I use this file as the base for creating a master doc. I
also create separate files for the TOC and the index. Horace Smith.

you must select the contents of the file in the master
document, then create a subdocument. Pragya Singh Nair

[end]

Stan Smith
Technical Writer
Tele Danmark EDB * Teglholmsgade 1 * DK-0900 København C
E-mail: stansmith -at- tdk -dot- dk * Phone: +45 33 83 44 36 * Fax: +45 33 20 17 01

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000