Re: Can someone learn to be detail-oriented?

Subject: Re: Can someone learn to be detail-oriented?
From: "Brathwaite, Chantel" <cbrathwaite -at- PYTHON -dot- IDEAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:10:59 -0400

Hi Jill,

Yes, you can learn detail-oriented skills. To be honest, I don't care for
details and I think most of them are, for the most part boring. However, in
this field, being detail oriented is quite important. So, because I know
that it is important, I've taught myself to produce work that makes it look
like I am detail-oriented. (It is important to learn how to manage
big-picture tech writers because they are a tremendous asset to your staff.
Particularly when it is time to plan projects or implement new ideas, or to
revise procedures.) So, I don't think the question of REALLY changing
orientation, it is just a matter of learning how to produce work that is as
accurate as your detail-oriented co-worker. That can take time, depending
on whether the writer sees the need to be detail-oriented. Another thing --
if over time the new writer improves, but maybe doesn't always have 0
mistakes, like her more detail-oriented co-worker, I wouldn't hold it
against her. She probably has other strengths that the more detail-oriented
co-worker may not have.

Now, you asked for specifics. How did I learn how to "work" like a
detail-oriented person? (You might have received the same info from other
posts as well):

* I use lists. On my computer, I make a table that contains
everything I need to look for when reviewing my document. As new things are
added (maybe I discover that the client wants serial commas) I add them to
the list. (Actually, I add them to the sticky notes all over my computer.
Then when it is time to edit, I add them to the list.) Then I don't worry
about it until a few days before I hand it off to the editor. Actually you
can require this of everyone for at least one documentation project. Tip:
You can make a generic one and then make it available to everyone online (so
she can't lose it). Then, if you are editing her work, if you come across
many of the same errors, you can ask her to please re-edit using the list --
before you look at it again.
* One of my supervisors once held a meeting where we discussed style
issues and common mistakes.
* To remember when everything is supposed to be due, I use the
calendar reminders. These help me to stay on track. Another thing one of
my old bosses did was to post the timelines for the various projects in the
writing area.
* Peer reviews were really helpful as well -- in reviewing other
people's work I learned a lot about writing and editing.
* Having an editor sit with me (if you have a dedicated editor) and
ask me why? why? why? helped me to ask why? why? why? before I even handed
in the document.

Hope this helps.

Chantel

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=