Re: Writing Sales Bids

Subject: Re: Writing Sales Bids
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 14:50:51 -0700

Klopfenstein, Ed (AFS) wrote:

> If I assign current staff to this chore, what kind of influence does it
have
> on a TW career? How does the general market see this? And, should I expect
> resignations?

Writing proposals is a special art, but one generally found in marketing,
not
technical writing. Your boss may be assuming what a lot of management types
do
- if they think you can write at all, obviously you can write anything.
Hence
there must be no difference between writing manuals and writing sales
literature
and proposals.

WRONG.

Being able to write proposals is a 'nice to have' addition to one's resume,
but
it doesn't usually get you more technical writing jobs. Technical writing,
by
definition, is supposed to have a degree of precision about technical terms
that
marketing writing tends to gloss over. In terms of career development, it's
definitely a detour from a linear path. And yes, you can probably expect
resignations.

> If I hire someone for this work, what kind of pay rates should I expect to
> pay?

Whatever the going rate is for marcom people in your area. Which is usually
less than the going rate for technical writers.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=