Severe HTML/FrontPage problem, urgent (deadline)

Subject: Severe HTML/FrontPage problem, urgent (deadline)
From: Beth Kane <bethkane -at- TCISOLUTIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:12:56 -0700

Hello,
I hope one of you can help. I've been on my new job 5 days, and yesterday I
was given a doc written in FrontPage to edit. I have to turn it in today for
publication! I know just a little about HTML codes -- I'm a real newbie. I
had never touched FrontPage. Unfortunately, my manager, who wrote the
original version using default styles, is new to it too.

The problem: after I had worked in the htm file for quite a while, the whole
last half of the file got indented. Everything is supposed to be based on a
flush left, zero margin setup. When I check the code and all possible (I
think) settings, everything looks kosher. I've been looking in manuals for
any clue; the best book I've got is Mastering MS FrontPage 98. I copied and
pasted the proper html codes; no change.

This mysterious new margin begins after a sub-bullet list. I saw a clue
somewhere that said formatting can become mysteriously screwed up after
indented lists, and to fix it you put in two paragraph ends (</p></p>). But
it won't even accept that code, it pushes it out after I go back to the
Normal tab or after I Save.

The Mastering book suggested going to www.htmlhelp.com and follow the
instructions for checking your CSS file, even though I don't think this doc
ever had one. This diagnostic program reacted to the CSS contents
(<style></style>) by saying "HTML tags should not be in a CSS," and also
said "Error: Illegal statement."
Help! Does anyone have any idea what went wrong? Should I apply all new
styles (use a CSS)? Where can I get a CSS that's similar to the default
styles FrontPage uses? Thank you so much in advance.

Beth Kane in Tucson
bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=