Re: Problems with Indexing in Word

Subject: Re: Problems with Indexing in Word
From: REJ-D -at- BETASYSTEMS -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 10:19:32 +0200

Kate, you wrote:

> In our index template, we have two levels of entries:
> Index 1 and 2. When I generate the index, I notice
> that the font of certain (and seemingly random) index
> entries is not what it is supposed to be. For example,
> each entry has a name and an associated page number.
> I'm finding that the name may be using the Index 2 Style,
> while the associated page number uses the Index 1 style.

Index 1 and Index 2 styles are defined at paragraph level.
The entry and the page number are in the same paragraph.
In Word, one paragraph can only have one paragraph style.

My assumption is: Your index 2 and index 1 styles use
different weights or font styles, for example bold for
index 1 and regular for index 2, and that an index 1
entry that is not bold APPEARS to be formatted like
index level 2.

The most likely reason for this is the way attributes like
bold or italics work in Word. Mark text in a regular para-
graph and turn on bold (+BOLD) and the text will be bold.
Mark text in a paragraph that is already bold and turn on
bold (+BOLD) and the text will be regular: Two times +BOLD
results in character formatting REGULAR.

If an index entry is formatted +Bold in the text and the
index style applies +Bold to the entry, the index entry
will display in regular font.

To solve your problem, find the corresponding index entry
in the text (Search for: XE "entry") and press Ctrl + Spacebar
to take away the special character formatting. Index entries
will be displayed if hidden characters are visible (Tools >
Options > View tab).

Hope this helps,
Reinhard

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=