Re: Marvel at my stupidity (whole 9 yards)

Subject: Re: Marvel at my stupidity (whole 9 yards)
From: Carol Gasser <cgasser75 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 13:57:11 -0700

--- barry -dot- kieffer -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM wrote:
> Maybe someone could enlighten me, what does "The
> Whole Nine Yards" mean?

I once *heard* (See how I am stressing that I don't
know if it's true?) that this came from a World War I
expression.

The story is that most WWI planes could hold, in their
bomb bays, explosives that measured twenty-seven feet
in length. It was possible to drop part or all of this
on a target.

So if you really wanted to blast a target, you gave
them "the whole nine yards."

Yours in useless trivia heaven,

- CG

===