Subject: Summary: Can you call back for a job after being rejected?
From: Kelly Schab <schabk -at- CYBERENET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:16:09 -0400

Thanks so much to everyone who responded! It helped to hear some voices
of reason while trying to decide. :)

Ten of those who responded said they would call, four said they wouldn't.
The following is a summary of quotes and paraphrases from their responses.

(As for me, I'm still mulling it over.)

Tom Murrell said that it couldn't hurt to call and let them know that I'm
still interested. He had the same experience, basically, and got the job.

Sean Brierley said, "If I were hiring, and you called, I'd not hire
you. I'd know what you wanted for $$$ and would expect that you were
taking the job only temporarily, while you looked for something else. I
wouldn't want to invest in that."

Sheldon Kohn said, "If you feel that this might be a good match, let
them know. The worst that can happen is that they will ignore you and not
even waste another stamp rejecting you again."

Chris Thiesson said to call and that "[T]here might be other areas of
compromise or negotiation available." "Having been a hiring manager, I
met and interviewed folks whose salary demands were a little beyond my
expressed range." If they had suggested a lower salary with a bigger
compensation package, he would have considered them.

Art Campbell said, "I think that because you saw a second ad, and you're
really hungry for the gig, it would be acceptable. It shows you're
determined, assertive, etc. What's the worst they can say? ;-) "

Tim Merrick said, "Personally, I think it would be a mistake. For whatever
reason, salary requirement or otherwise, this company has decided against
hiring you. Even if they did decide to reconsider and even hire you, I
think your credibility would be damaged. If the company reconsidered and
contacted you again, that would be different. You would be able to
negotiate from strength rather than weakness."

Chris Hamilton said, "Sure, why not? The worst they can do is say we're
still not interested, in which case, all you lose is the cost of a phone
call. And don't assume it's the money that hurt you. It might be, but it
might not be. Don't offer to come down. But if you think the money is the
problem, you'd better be ready to come down."

Kathleen Burke said, "My advice is not to respond at this point. There
will be other jobs." She also said that the job may not be a good 'fit'
and that money may not have been the reason for the rejection.

Dan Roberts said to ask them what their qualms were and if I did ask for
too much money for their market, to try lowering my salary requirments
without embarrassing myself too much.

David Castro said, "I definitely would. There's nothing that makes you
want to hire someone more than knowing that they really want to work at
*your* place, and not just at the highest paying job. We definitely give
more consideration to people who show an interest in what we produce, and
show that they really want to *learn* the software we make, and not just
"write about" it."

Suzie Elliott said, "You don't need to tell them you're still
interested--the fact you're calling will convey that. If it were me, I'd
call and say 'I notice you're still advertising, I'm a bit disappointed
about not getting it, but I wonder if you would tell me what disqualified
me.' She said to try not to sound "desperately disappointed" and to let
them know this is just for my future interviews.

Cam Whetstone said, "I doubt very much that calling would do you any good.
Once you have been turned down for some reason, the HR types will continue
to look elsewhere." He said to contact a headhunter, explain the
situation, and see if they can get me an interview. Also, you never know
how the interview is really going and that the total compensation package
should be stressed, not just salary.

Beth Kane wrote, "Yes -- I would contact them and tell them you're still
interested, and you're negotiable on salary. If they really liked you this
could work out!"

SueAnn Spencer said, "I would call the hiring manager to find out more
about why you didn't get an offer (I'm assuming that the no-thanks letter
was intentionally vague). Say something like, 'I felt that my
qualifications matched what you were looking for, I was very interested in
the position, and I'm wondering if you can clarify why you think so also.'
Act as though you're interested in learning more about yourself for future
situations in that location, not like you're trying to nail them." She
also said not to push it if they won't disclose the reasons why.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=