Re: Mystery in Frame spellchecker

Subject: Re: Mystery in Frame spellchecker
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 19:20:24 -0400

Beth Kane wrote:

> Howdy from Tucson,
> I'm editing a book I just got my hands on for the first time, and it
> contains some command lines in Courier, e.g., Server Name\Main.
>
> When I run the Spelling Checker, it displays the command lines in the
> Misspelling? field with _double_ backslashes!

Beth,

First, Very Big Disclaimer: I have never used Frame

However, I have a fair amount of experience with spell checkers. I
suspect that frame uses the backslash as an escape character so it can
embed markup language in the text stream. When you type a backslash as a
character, Frame would then have to double it in order to alert the
display editor that this is a literal character, not an escape sequence.
The spell checker's textbox control may not be clever enough to hide the
second slash, but I think you can rest assured that this does not
otherwise affect its usefulness.

Now I'm going to be a good boy and spellcheck this message before I post
it.

Dick

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=