EX: How much job hopping is OK and how to explain it?

Subject: EX: How much job hopping is OK and how to explain it?
From: Archie Ziviello <aziviello -at- NESL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:03:34 -0400

This is not so much a reply, buy and EX (expansion):

You know I really hate to ask, but as a highly specialized TW (the sound of
applause and cheers in the distance), I'm wondering how marketable skills
are across work platforms? And, if TWing actually results in getting an
office outside the TW discipline.

If you are a TW for a particular company and a lot of what you learn/
learned could pan out in another (same kind of business) would employer
actually consider the TW as sort of a Rennaisance figure?

Case: I had occassion to write custom manuals for software product in
widespread use. A biggy big application! Can I realistically think that I
can approach a user of this software else and wind up in some other type of
job? It took me months to become 78% fluent in the user end function of the
application as well as structure and write the doc. In the course of
writing the manuals, interviews, site visits, and edits with administrator,
I met people who had a fraction of my knowledge but where probably
out-pacing me in the earnings scale.

Archie