Re: Word 97 -- Borders around text?

Subject: Re: Word 97 -- Borders around text?
From: Marilyn_Baldwin -at- CAPGROUP -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:08:21 -0700

Keith Long wrote:

> Is there a way to place a a "single-line" border under
> selected text in a Word 97 document? (Using the regular
> "underlining" feature of the word processor is not
> sufficient--as I need space between the line and text.)
> I can place a "box" around text, but not a single line
> underneath (although I can place a single line under a
> paragraph). Any advice is welcome! I suppose I will
> have to use the drawing tools to insert a line?

I guess I'd do it like this (assuming the text is just one line's worth):
- Insert a table of one column, one row
- Put your selected text in the table
- Format Borders and Shading - select the bottom line of the border,
choose line type, and make sure it's, oh, say, about 5 pts from text
(or else highlight the text, do Format Paragraph and choose about
3pts or 6pts spacing after)
- If the line extends beyond the text, just resize the table by
dragging
its right side in (or both sides, if it should be indented to match
how
the text should be)

For more than one line of text, just make more rows in the table.

This may seem clumsy, but it works fine and it's easier than drawing
tools, etc. (at least for me). Hope this helps.

- Marilyn Baldwin
(mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=