Re: HUMOR: Technical Writers' Competency Screening Test

Subject: Re: HUMOR: Technical Writers' Competency Screening Test
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- STARCUTTER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:20:40 -0400

Andrew, your point is exactly what? That anyone who joins STC is a dolt?

For some of us, STC has value. I work in a somewhat remote corner of
Michigan and I don't have the opportunity to work with a lot of people of
superior intelligence to garner wisdom. I work alone for a small company
that makes grinding machines. I know of one other technical writer within
150 miles. The closest I come to intelligent life forms here are an SME who
used to fix furnaces and another who worked in a machine shop making drill
bits. These guys (CNC programmers) can make a 6-axis CNC do incredible
things, but they can't teach me squat about communication.

My three choices for professional advancement are: reading this list,
reading books and finding my way to an STC conference about once a year. We
aren't on the leading edge when it comes to technical communication, but STC
does help me to keep informed. Maybe someday I'll be able to live in the big
city, work for a manager with a unique sense of humor and have no more need
for STC because I'll know everything. For now, I'll just keep plugging away
with FrameMaker out in the sticks. It's a good thing my boss likes my work.
Little does he know how much of a dolt I am for being in the STC. He even
pays for my membership. HAH! Fooled him.

I have one more question for you Andrew. If STC is such a waste, why are you
presenting at a regional conference?

Y'all come back again. Ya hear.

Tom (Pa Kettle) Johnson
Elk Rapids, Michigan