Re: I'm back with a Question

Subject: Re: I'm back with a Question
From: Yvonne DeGraw <yvonne -at- SILCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:36:02 -0700

Kevin Feeman <Kevin -dot- Feeman -at- MICROMASS -dot- COM> wrote:
>Today, I was asked to put together a document that contains a
>list of documents that will be needed for our software product.
>What types of end user documentation is there
>for a "typical" software program?

Some software programs don't even have/need the traditional "User's Guide".
Several of my clients go with a "Getting Started" tutorial and
reference material either in a print/PDF manual or online help.

Here's a start at a list of candidates for types of documents:

o Installation guide (or maybe just the instructions printed on the
CD-ROM case, depends on how complex the installation is).
o Quick reference card
o Getting Started tutorial
o User's Guide
o Reference Manual
o Online help

Do you have only one type of user? If not, you might need something like an
Administrator's Guide.

Since you are making a list and you are a one-man shop with room to grow,
think about whether you need training manuals and a training department.
Also, do you need documentation on your web site?

Yvonne DeGraw, Technical Services o Technical Writing
yvonne -at- silcom -dot- com o Online Help
http://www.silcom.com/~yvonne o Web Documentation
Tel: 805/683-5784 o Database Publishing

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=