Re: Use v. utilize (was Re: Simple Verbiage Question)

Subject: Re: Use v. utilize (was Re: Simple Verbiage Question)
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- BDK -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:53:08 -0400

I shouldn't, but I can't help it...

I think "utilize" is a silly, Dilbertish word used by insecure persons
who think that a word so short and simple as "use" couldn't possibly be
important enough to figure in their self-agrandizing prose. Such persons
also frequently use military metaphors to lend an aura of decision and
excitement to their otherwise mind-numbingly dull business activities.
e.g:
"Our strategic plan is to utilize a total quality approach to increased
profits through staff reduction."

We know the writer is smart and well organized because he used the words
"strategic plan" and "utilize". We don't necessarily learn anything else
from the sentence. As for any other differences in nuance between "use"
and "utilize", I remain unconvinced.

Sceptically yours,

Chris Kowalchuk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=