Re: help with a strong word

Subject: Re: help with a strong word
From: Kathleen Holscher <kholscher -at- NSISW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:49:50 -0500

Geoff Hart suggested "you reconsider your audience
before choosing a wording: If only a system administrator
will do the procedure, I think you're being unnecessarily
cautious;"

Before I started writing, I did tech support and I was surprised (actually
shocked and amazed) at how many people called themselves system
administrators. Some of them have the title but don't have the knowledge.

In our docs we use a normal heading for these types of sections but make
sure that we have a warning box that stands out. It may state something
like "Editing the Windows NT registry can be very dangerous; change only the
entry below and no other settings." I guess my suggestion is to tell them
what to change or do and also instruct them NOT to do anything else.

Just a different two cents
Kathleen

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=