Re: That raise and promotion

Subject: Re: That raise and promotion
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:25:34 -0600 (MDT)

Johnny,

If I were your manager, I'd have trouble accepting your argument that "Since I'm
the only writer I think that qualifies me as the lead/senior writer." Whenever
someone presents me with an argument, I try to analyze the logic:

Premise 1. All solo writers are senior writers.
Premise 2. Johnny is a solo writer.
Conclusion Johnny is a senior writer.

If premise 1 and 2 are true, your conclusion must be true. However, as a manager
my response would be that Premise 1 isn't true--being the only writer doesn't
make you a senior writer. If I don't accept that all solo writers are senior
writers, then I won't necessarily accept that YOU are a senior writer. Odds are
that if I believed premise 1, I would have hired a senior writer in the first
place. Thus, you're out of luck as far as getting that raise and promotion.

I'd revise the argument structure as follows:

P1. All tasks in set ABC are tasks performed by senior writers
P2. Some tasks in set ABC are tasks performed for company XYZ
Conc. Some tasks performed by senior writers are tasks performed for company XYZ

and

P1. All tasks performed for company XYZ are tasks performed by Johnny.
P2. Some tasks performed for company XYZ are tasks performed by senior writers.
Conc. Some tasks performed by Johnny are tasks performed by senior writers.

Of course, you need to add detail about what tasks are in set ABC and your
performance of those tasks. I have successfully written and presented raise
justifications that followed this format. However, I gave the written documents
to my boss during/after discussion of the points.

Jill Burgchardt
jburgchardt -at- pestilence -dot- itc -dot- nrcs -dot- usda -dot- gov