Re: Is Java a good class to take for technical writing?

Subject: Re: Is Java a good class to take for technical writing?
From: Mpschiesl -at- ra -dot- rockwell -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:04:12 -0500

For usability sake, I would recommend JavaScript over Java (but it somewhat
depends on your situation).

- JavaScript is more compact and simpler to use
- Web users don't have to wait 6+ seconds for their Java plug-in to invoke
- JavaScript can be used for many of the same tasks as Java, without the
complication of include files, etc.

It sounds like you are on the programming track, so I would recommend
taking a Java class (and at least try out JavaScript as you go along).

For those who just want to make a few web tricks, though, I would recommend
starting with JavaScript.

I was almost going to sign up for a Java course yesterday, but I think I'll just
buy some software and a book instead. I don't know that much about Java,
but I am a JavaScript advocate. : )

Take care...

Michael Schiesl
Rockwell Automation Product Documentation