RE: What's that smell? (aka A project gone bad)

Subject: RE: What's that smell? (aka A project gone bad)
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:03:22 -0600

> My question is: how do you close the situation with the
> client? Do you just wipe your hands of the situation and learn what you >
can from it or do you try to assess what happened and send a letter to > the
client explaining your side?

I tried this once, when I was actively slandered by a client. I mean, this
person said provably false things--which he KNEW were false--about me. I
sent a letter to him and the party to whom he told the lie, and said, in
effect, "You know what you said is not true, and I can't imagine just what
you believe your lie will accomplish."

OK, you know Cornholio, from Beavis and Butthead, who would run around
screaming "ARE YOU THREATENING ME?" That's what the guy did. Seriously. He
essentially told me that he had bigger, meaner lawyers than I did. (I didn't
have lawyers, I've never sued anyone in my life, and I was PROFOUNDLY
offended by the accusation--almost as much as I was by the original lie.)

So I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't bother. There are some bad, stupid
Cornholios out there, and the best thing is to avoid all unnecessary contact
with them, lest you get their cooties.

Lisa.