RE: An encode/decode system

Subject: RE: An encode/decode system
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- Elcotel -dot- com>
To: jktan -at- ctlsg -dot- creaf -dot- com, "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:24:56 -0400

Joo Khim,

It would be helpful to know more about the type of system you're talking
about. I deal with a lot of two-way radios, most of which use an encoded
squelch system (CTCSS or DPL). Generally, when you're referring to this
equipment, you call the whole thing "coded squelch," "tone squelch,"
"digital squelch," etc. The individual capabilities to transmit the
required signal and reject unwanted signals are referred to as "encode" and
"decode," respectively. Thus, I would recommend that (if you're working in
the two-way radio world and you must call attention to both aspects of the
system) you use the term most accepted by people in the industry, and that
would be "encode/decode."

I hope this helps you (without seeming too confusing). Good luck!


> Hi, everybody,
> Do you say "an encode/decode system" or "an encoding/decoding system"?
> thanks n' regards,
> joo khim

Previous by Author: Standards for dimensions of printed books
Next by Author: RE: document reviewers
Previous by Thread: Re: An encode/decode system
Next by Thread: NOT THE SAME (was Java a good class?)

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads