Estimating Complex Projects?

Subject: Estimating Complex Projects?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:35:55 PDT

Question for all listerv members:

How do you estimate a documentation project for a complex software system? I have read estimating "rules-of thumb" of a couple of pages per day. However, that still leaves the following questions:

1.) How do you know how many pages will be required?

2.) Isn't there a significant up-front analysis phase BEFORE any pages are created? (Isn't the common rap against programmers about prematurely jumping into implementation just as appropriate to Technical Writers?)

All responses appreciated.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)