document reviewers

Subject: document reviewers
From: "Mason, Debbie" <DMason -at- squirrelsystems -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:25:43 -0700

Kim,
I am a technical writer for a company that makes computer systems used in
bars and restaurants. All documentation, from Help files to manuals, are
reviewed by the senior technical writer. She ensures that copy is well
written, conforms to style and is accurate. We also have a Quality
Assurance Team that tests all aspects of our product. I will usually ask
someone from this team to test my "how to" or procedural steps for accuracy
as well. The horse's mouth, aka the Engineering Department is also an
excellent resource.
I think overall control should rest with the documentation department. The
other people who as you say "have their hands in the pot," can be a useful
resource, but the writers should control what is written.
Just my 2 bits.

dmason -at- squirrelsystems -dot- com