Std Processes for Design

Subject: Std Processes for Design
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 16:57:04 PDT

Some have posted on this listserv that it is not possible to have standard software design processes (without adversely affecting creativity). However, lack of std design process means that those downstream from design (including Technical Writers) must constantly deal with inputs of greatly varying (often very poor) quality.

I believe that developers can work to standard processes. For example, in every ad-hoc (Level 1 Process Maturity) software organization that I have worked in (or know about), nobody EVER created a flow chart (or if they did, it was total nonsense). What's so hard about creating a flow chart (logical, or DFD - whatever is appropriate) done to accademic standard. I have created such many-a-time.

This would be a great standard practice! And it would significantly simplify my work as a Technical Writer.

I am sure that there are many of possible standard practices.

Tony Markatos