RE: daisy chaining and jumpering

Subject: RE: daisy chaining and jumpering
From: Scott Havens <SHavens -at- Elcotel -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 09:10:14 -0400

I think the important question here is whether or not "daisy chain" is a
verb. (It's not listed in my dictionary, so I have no support for either
side from that quarter.) I've heard it used as a verb many times in the
past, so if that is considered a valid usage, then all common verb forms
should also be valid. In short, if the first example is correct, then the
second should be correct also.

Another recent post raised a similar question re: the use of "jumper" as a
verb. On this one, my dictionary does have something to say: "jumper" is a
noun, not a verb, at least in the usages cited by Webster (9th New
Collegiate Dictionary). However, common parlance in the electronics
industry would probably raise no objection to using "jumper" as a verb. Any
technician on the bench would know what you meant if you said, "Jumper pins
1 and 2." In fact, that's probably what they would say if they were telling
YOU to do it.

SO, the even bigger question (and the one that brings this whole thing back
toward the "on topic" category) is whether or not we should observe the
rules of standard English (or other language of your choice), OR we should
use the language of our audience, even if it falls into the "grey areas" of
grammar. My own preference is to stay within the rules as much as possible,
but if a slightly more "jargonish" usage would be more understandable to the
user, I have no great objection to it. Now let's see what others on the
list have to say... <Anti-flame shields activating>

Have a nice weekend!

SRH
Tampa Bay, FL