Re: Can't do that in Word, eh?

Subject: Re: Can't do that in Word, eh?
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
To: Amram Hakohen <amramh -at- dnrc -dot- bell-labs -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:28:09 -0700

Amram Hakohen wrote:

> I've come to the sad conclusion that
> Word doesn't allow me to make a single
> virtual document into which I can place
> include-type statements, that will
> do an "insert file" operation. Is this
> your experience? (RD is clearly not the
> answer.)

On the contrary, RD is precisely the answer.
The RD (reference document) has exactly the
effect of an "insert file" operation.

> I want to do this so that my
> users on the network can print the
> entire document from the virtual one.
> This is desirable as the component files/
> chapters are constantly updated.

As long as you update the TOC and index on
the network, too, and RD them along with
the chapters, you'll get the effect you
want.

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3.1, still the easiest way to create and maintain
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!