Re: What do you call this?

Subject: Re: What do you call this?
From: "Neal Dench" <ndench -at- geocities -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:48:33 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Jan Stanley <janron -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 1999 2:31 PM

> Julie Comstock-Fisher asked
>

> >If you have a person with an addition following
> >their name, such as "Jr." or "III", what do you call
> >that addition?
>
> I responded directly to Julie, but I'll post this to the list for
> those who are interested: The Chicago Manual of Style, which is
> regarded as being pretty darn authoritative in matters such as
> this, calls it a suffix (and, btw, prefers that no comma be used
> before either the abbreviation or the numeral: Clarence Smith
> Jr.; E. L. James IV).
>
> "Suffix" is the term used by a program that I documented a few
> years ago. That program used "appellation" for other
> abbreviations that were appended to a name, such as "M.D.,"
> "Esq.," and so on.

(delurking) "Suffix" was the term we used in a program that I documented a
few months ago too. For this particular program, we had to be consistent
with terms used by a very large governmental agency, so I would take that as
a pretty good sign that the term is in common use. For my money, getting the
thumbs up from Chicago is the best kind of approval you can look for,
though.

--
Neal Dench
ndench at geocities.com // dench at ugsolutions.com