Re: What do you call this?

Subject: Re: What do you call this?
From: "Neal Dench" <ndench -at- geocities -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:48:33 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Jan Stanley <janron -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 1999 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: What do you call this?

> Julie Comstock-Fisher asked
> >If you have a person with an addition following
> >their name, such as "Jr." or "III", what do you call
> >that addition?
> I responded directly to Julie, but I'll post this to the list for
> those who are interested: The Chicago Manual of Style, which is
> regarded as being pretty darn authoritative in matters such as
> this, calls it a suffix (and, btw, prefers that no comma be used
> before either the abbreviation or the numeral: Clarence Smith
> Jr.; E. L. James IV).
> "Suffix" is the term used by a program that I documented a few
> years ago. That program used "appellation" for other
> abbreviations that were appended to a name, such as "M.D.,"
> "Esq.," and so on.

(delurking) "Suffix" was the term we used in a program that I documented a
few months ago too. For this particular program, we had to be consistent
with terms used by a very large governmental agency, so I would take that as
a pretty good sign that the term is in common use. For my money, getting the
thumbs up from Chicago is the best kind of approval you can look for,

Neal Dench
ndench at // dench at

Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free address at

Previous by Author: RE: what to do when there are two paths for a procedure
Next by Author: Way OT: Foreign languages
Previous by Thread: Re: What do you call this?
Next by Thread: Recommend screen capture utility for OS/2?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads