RE: Tape Recording End Users & SMEs

Subject: RE: Tape Recording End Users & SMEs
From: "Dawn Marie Oliver (Write Stuff)" <a-dawnmo -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:59:44 -0700

Anthony Markatos wrote:
> 1.) Do you tape record your interviews with end users and/or SMEs? If so,

> why? If not, why?

Yes, I have started doing so (I currently only interview SMEs). I
do
so because my engineers talk so fast, and when they get on a roll,
it
is difficult to slow them down, even with necessary questions.

It also frees me from the chore of detailed note-taking--I am easily
able
to jot down questions to ask, then ask them, rather than fear I am
missing
crucial information that I just didn't get down on paper.

> 2.) Is tape recording frequently utilized? (I have been reviewing
postings
> to this listserv for some time and do not recall a single posting on this
> subject. Also, a check of the archives yielded only one archived
posting.)

I have reviewed one of my sets of tapes (a three-hour meeting on
routing
architecture for internet routers) 4 times now. Each time, I come
with a
higher level of knowledge, so the meeting makes more sense.

I operate the recorder myself. I haven't had any problems with my
current
SMEs and recording.

I have also considered getting a Polaroid camera to capture those
impressive
whiteboard diagrams, rather than trying to transcribe them -- often
there are
2 or 3 per meeting.

Hope this helps,

Dawn-Marie
a-dawnmo -at- microsoft -dot- com

<all standard disclaimers apply...and these are really MY
opinions>