Re: Technical Writing Courses

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Courses
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:46:06 -0400

"Murrell, Thomas" wrote:

> I guess I'm a bit disappointed that people on the list didn't have more to
> say about what sorts of courses they would recommend for Technical Writers
<snip>
> Perhaps I should not admit it, but I've never taken a Technical Writing
> course. I have a BA and an MA in English, with a technical background of having been a system analyst/programmer for a number of years before
> becoming a Technical Writer. I've been doing Technical Writing for 10 years now without ever having a course in it.
<snip>
> I just wonder if I would be better off if I had a few classes to go with my practical experience.>

The job of the technical writer is to communicate. Your formal training
in the English language is far more important than any "how to"
technical course. I have always expressed the opinion that too many
students do not have sufficient liberal arts background to be able to
think and communicate reasoned thought.
IMNVHO, art history would have helped you as well as a melange of other
liberal arts courses. Once you can think and communicate your thoughts,
the technical applications will follow. You can be the most
knowledgeable person in the world, but it will not help your career if
you cannot think and effectively communicate your knowledge.

Peter