Re: Technical Writing Courses

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Courses
From: John Garison <jgarison -at- ide -dot- com>
To: "'tmurrell -at- alldata -dot- net'" <tmurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>, "'Techwr-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:23:45 -0400

I've been teaching tech writing since '82 ... but I have been a working
tech writer, manager, consultant all along. My own personal conclusion
is that your experience is probably good enough. A few years ago I was
asked to teach in a Master's program, but I said that, since I didn't
have a Masters, I didn't feel I could do it. I asked if I would get
anything out of taking the courses, and the dean and several faculty
members (all of whom I know) told me I would probably not learn anything
new.

What I try to teach in my courses is the basics of what the process of
tech writing is all about 0 planning, organizing, researching, and basic
writing and presentation skills. The rest of the stuff they learn on
their own through rewriting and getting comments.

Just my 2¢ worth ...

John Garison
Documentation Manager
Integrated Development Enterprise, Inc.