Re: When is it appropriate to provide references?

Subject: Re: When is it appropriate to provide references?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Justin Soles <jsoles -at- tkg -dot- att -dot- ne -dot- jp>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:38:42 -0700 (PDT)

Justin. An agency can ask for anything they want,
doesn't mean they get everything they want. However,
if you feel uncomfortable about a request, you can say
no and most times leave it at that.

When I'm contacted by an agency, and only after
they've satisfactorly addressed other issues first,
when they ask for references, I explain to them that
once an interview is booked and I know what it's for,
I'll submit 2 references, which ones, based on the
position. BTW...these are high level references (VP,
Director, etc.), so I have to be careful not to wear
them out.

After all, it wouldn't make sense to send a couple of
programming references if the position is for marcom
writing, or for proposal references if the position is
for web development.

Most times they understand, and the ones that don't do
not get any further with me since if they don't
respect my wish on this, there are going to be other
conflicts and I don't have the inclination to deal
with them.

> I'm currently shopping my resume around to various
> IT search agencies around
> Toronto. One recruiter called me back and asked me
> to fax in a list of my
> references as well. When I asked why, the recruiter
> said that some companies
> the agency deals with require BOTH a resume &
> references to be supplied
> before they'll look at a candidate.
> Does this sound legitimate? I have no problems
> providing a list of

===
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"The art of creating software that is usable by individuals is a communication skill. It is not a programming skill."
--Bill Atkinson, creator of MacPaint and HyperCard