legal issues when customising manuals

Subject: legal issues when customising manuals
From: "Jennifer O Neill" <jennifer -dot- oneill -at- village -dot- uunet -dot- be>
To: "Techwr-l" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 22:45:20 +0200

Hi guys,

Our customers, who are distributers, often want to customise our manuals.
Usually this just means replacing our logo with theirs. However,
occationally they want to change info, usually deleting what they don't use
with their end customers. We give the files of our manuals to our large
customers is such cases, altho' a couple havel redone the manual to suit
their needs. So not giving the files doesn't solve our potential problem.

I need to come up with some kind of statement ("license agreement"?) saying
that if they change any information in our manuals, we are not responsible
for the consequences. Should this be a seperate letter or could it be
included in the copyright statement? Changing the logo doesn't bother us,
it's changing the techncial info that does. Has anyone any advice on how I
should phrase such a statement? The legal dept. in my company has told me to
draw up a proposed statement and then they'll review it. What do other
companies do in this situation? Thanks.

Cheers,

jennifer