RE: Motivation For Overtime?

Subject: RE: Motivation For Overtime?
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 11:10:57 -0500

In regards to the comments that amount of time spent on the job does not
always equal the quality of the job, I have to agree. However, the amount
of productive time spent on the job does equal the quality of the job. This
may or may not include overtime. As far as overtime is warranted, it's a
matter of scope. Sadly, in some situations a person is expected to do the
job duties of two. In these cases overtime is necessary and is usually a
burden (because there area just not enough hours in the day). I can see why
people get aggravated at this.

One poster added the motivation of spending enough time to do a correct and
precise job. To me, this addition suggests professionalism as a motivating
factor. This is in direct contrast to many of the viewpoints by other
posters. For example, the unionist viewpoint of, "I get paid for X hours, I
do X hours". Or the turn-the-tables viewpoint of, "If a person can't do a
job in 40 hours the worker is a worthless drone".

I would also like to add a motivation to the list. Namely, ambition. Ask
anyone on this list who has started their own business if they did on 40
hour or less weeks. Look at anyone successful and ask how many hours they
put into the job to reach their level. Did Steve Jobs, Sam Walton, or Bill
Gates reach pinnacles on 40 hour weeks? Does anyone criticize an athlete,
or a musician, or an artist for putting in more than 40hrs/wk to excel at
their crafts?

We all make choices in balancing careers, family, and commitments. It's
hard to put in 60 or more hours a week while raising a family. It's also
hard to excel at a career in between soccer, dance classes, dentists, school
plays, and so forth. This is no judgement on lifestyles. It's an opinion
that priorities affect levels of advancement. If you are content at staying
a Tech Writer, then 40 hours a week may do it. If you aim at becoming more
than just a Tech Writer, extended productive (not as face time) time is a
must.

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Staff Writer/ Web Applications Developer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://maps.intergraph.com