Pre-employment skills testing

Subject: Pre-employment skills testing
From: Robyn Remington <rlb -at- ftn-assoc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:46:33 -0500

I'm trying to make a geographic move. In applying for new jobs to make this
move possible, I've run across some employers that ask candidates to take a
writing test. When I mentioned this to my STC chapter newsletter editor,
his ears pricked up and he gave me an assignment: write an article on
pre-employment testing.

In an effort to broaden the article beyond my personal experience, I'm
writing to you all. Should you choose to reply, please reply to me
personally--if there's interest, I'll summarize the responses for the list.
Also, when replying please consider these questions:

1) Have of you had to take a writing test to get a job?

2) If so, what type of job was it: straight documentation, marketing
writing, PR writing, procedures, or some combination of these?

3) At what point in the interview process were you required to take the test?

4) What was the test like? (subject matter, length, deadline, etc.)

5) Did you feel the test was relevant to the position you were applying
for? what position were you applying for?

6) What kind of employer were you interviewing with? large or small?
private, public, or government?

Please include any other information you believe to be relevant. Thanks in
advance for your time and assistance.

Thank you,
Robyn L. Remington, ELS
Employment Coordinator