RE: RoboHelp vs Doc-To-Help 4.0

Subject: RE: RoboHelp vs Doc-To-Help 4.0
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Karen Stoddard" <kstoddar -at- standard -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:16:27 -0700

Karen Stoddard asked:

| I have been asked to evaluate differences between RoboHelp
| (current version)
| and Doc-to-Help 4.0 for creating online help and printed manuals. We
| currently have a license for D2H 4 but no one has used it yet. There is
| some question about whether it is robust enough for a large
| project of about
| 16 chapters (2000 pages). We use MS Word 97.
| Some of the questions we have include:
| Can you create a printed manual and online from the same source files?
| Will the index function across several files?
| How much flexibility do we have in terms of styles and fomatting?
| Will the program support screen prints, schematics, call outs and pop-ups?
| How much memory is needed for the writer(s)?
|
| The other question is would Frame be a better choice for the word
| processing?

Hi Karen,

It's been so long since I last used Doc-To-Help that I can't really offer a
good comparison between it and RoboHELP. I can say, however, that for a
project like yours (thousands rather than hundreds of pages), I would
strongly encourage you to take a close look at FrameMaker as your authoring
environment. It is far more stable and robust than MS Word, offers tighter
integration with PDF, and actually works! If you use FrameMaker, you can
automatically convert your files to WinHelp or HTML Help (along with a
number of other formats), using WebWorks Publisher from Quadralay
(http://www.quadralay.com). If you decide to explore this avenue, feel free
to ask any other quesitons you may have.

Regards,

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415-550-8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer

Hands-on RoboHELP training classes
every month in Chicago, Dallas & San Francisco