re: repeating figures

Subject: re: repeating figures
From: "Bell, John" <JBell -at- paragren -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:37:43 -0400

Lindsey Durway asked:
> The figure first appears in the section where I discuss
> the overall system illustrated by the flow chart.
> Ten pages later I want to describe one part of the system.

One popular method I've seen is to use shading to call attention to the part
you are
describing. The first appearance of the diagram shows all the parts with
equal emphasis
(no shading), thereafter each topic emphasizes one portion of the whole
diagram.

I've seen the emphasized portion shaded or boxed, and I've seen the
emphasized portion
left unshaded and the rest of the diagram shaded. Whichever method you
choose, just
make sure the portion you want to emphasize stands out from the remainder of
the
diagram.

--- John Bell
jbell -at- paragen -dot- com