HTML Help

Subject: HTML Help
From: "Peter Lucas" <peterlucas -at- mediaone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:21:39 -0700

I am exploring the possibility of moving our company's online help from
WinHelp to HTML Help. Our software is used on Win 95/98/NT platforms only,
so there are no cross-platform compatibility issues to worry about.

We use FrameMaker for our manuals, and I'm looking into WebWorks Publisher
to convert our FrameMaker docs to HTML for the web and HTML Help.

Can someone give me a brief rundown of how you create either What's This?
help or context sensitive help? (I suppose these may be one and the same in
HTML Help.)

Our software consists of forms with fields for entering data. For each
field, our users can press F1 and context sensitive help appears. The
programmers give me the context ID's for the fields and I plug them in to
the help file. We are not using What's This? help. We are only using context
sensitive help.

Would HTML Help allow us to use field-level context sensitive help like
this, or would we have to migrate to What's This? help?

Thanks,

Peter Lucas