Re: Who dreams up these things?

Subject: Re: Who dreams up these things?
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:47:04 -0400

On 09/28/1999 8:32 AM, David Farbey (David -dot- Farbey -at- lazysoft -dot- com) wrote:

>But process models on their own cannot replace content.

This is a powerful statement that seems so obvious, and yet I feel like
renting some billboard space and posting that statement outside the
offices of several of my clients of recent memory.

While I was at one site, they were aware that there were problems with
the documentation, but insisted that a new process was all they needed.
We had writers there who were dutifully copying down exactly what the
engineers were telling them without any more understanding than the end
users for whom they're supposedly writing. You can't explain something
well unless you understand it better than your audience.

My suggestions that we all needed to learn more about the technology
weren't met with dismissal; they were met with responses such as "well,
that would be nice if we had more time." There was really no priority
placed on making sure the writers learned and understood the subject.

How do you respond to something like that? My response was to make sure
my contributions were as technically accurate and clearly explained as I
could make them, but that didn't solve the overall problem.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman