RE: Wish list for academic research

Subject: RE: Wish list for academic research
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:21:10 -0700

<<Jason Sayz:

> So, if the majority of the users think a manual sucks, but we perform a
> study that says it doesn't, can we tell the users that they are morons?>>

The point is-- We have no idea what the users think. My crystal ball
is seriously out-of-order. And the point is--to define *suck*. Too hard? Too
easy? Too long? Too expensive? No pictures? Too heavy? Unclear? Too much
info? Too little info? Wrong info? No jokes? Too many jokes? Stupid jokes?
Can't find info? Too many syllables per word? Dangling participles? None of
the above?

Perhaps you are fortunate enough to have spoken to every one of the
users of your manual. And they have all told you that the manual sucks. And
have explained clearly what "sucks" means. And have told you in a clear and
informed manner exactly how to make the manual not suck. Most of us are not
so fortunate.

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer