Re: Numbering Steps for Multiple Paths

Subject: Re: Numbering Steps for Multiple Paths
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:33:41 -0500

> I don't know how this happens. If you folks have actually had the
> experience of seeing a book with single steps numbered "1" and were
> honestly thrown off by it, I would be more impressed by the argument.

Well, I was all atwitter at the mere thought of it. Is that good enough? :-)

> But I
> _have_ seen two different books without numbered single steps and been
> pretty thoroughly thrown, you know, to the extent of having to stop and
> hunt for other step-type lists, study them to be sure they were supposed to
> be the same even though one was numbered and one wasn't, etc.

It doesn't matter what throws you and what throws me. What throws your audience?

> So now what do I do with my own experience, perception, and judgement?

Same thing we're all supposed to do -- weigh it against the perception and
judgment of our audience. Our job is to communicate to them. You've had several
people here tell you they'd be confused by the method you insist makes more
sense. What do you normally do in that situation?

Tracy
Oklahoma Department of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc