Re: Programmer/Writer?

Subject: Re: Programmer/Writer?
From: Herman Holtz <h -dot- holtz -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net>
To: "Michele Marques" <mmarques -at- cms400 -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 06:05:57 -0400

>And to bring in another techwr-l thread, at that time (a dozen years
>ago), I had only heard the term "technical writing" once and had
>*no* idea what a technical writer did ... I was planning to go back to
>school for linguistics because I thought that my undergrad. studies
>in Computer Science only qualified me as a programmer (and I
>don't like working as a programmer). Even now, I find that many
>people don't know what a "technical writer" does.

What a tech writer does is a variable. I was once a tech writer, but I
would have to start from scratch to be a tech writer today, as most of today's
tech writers might be unable to handle the tech writing of my day--the Cold War
and arms buildup era. And perhaps the tech writing of few years from now will
be markedly different again. - Herm
Herman Holtz, Writer-Consultant - Latest book: The Concise Guide to
Becoming an Independent Consultant (John Wiley & Sons, 1999).
Writing support services. Recommendation & estimates, no obligation.