RE: techwr-l digest: October 01, 1999

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: October 01, 1999
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 09:39:34 +0100

>Teri Ward writes:
>
> I'm working on a project where the customer
> wants an old, 1000-page document updated. The
> document is so old it's formatted in Courier,
> and this is the font the Customer wants me to
> use on the _new_ document. She believes that
> Courier is eminently readable and the best
> choice of fonts. Help!

Tom Murrell responds:
>>Terry, the last time I checked there wasn't anything particularly wrong
with
Courier, though I would use Courier New because it is the True Type
equivalent. I guess I don't understand what your objection is. Barring a
reasonable objection on your part, I would be tempted to remind you that
"the Customer is always right."<<

True, but sometimes the Customer needs fuller information than she has in
order to maintain her eternal rightness.

Print out a few sample pages in Courier New, Times New Roman, and any other
proportional, serif fonts you have available. Give them to the Customer and
ask her to look them over. (Include notes on number of words per page, and
number of pages per document in each font.) If she still likes Courier best
after that, that's her choice and you'll have to stick with it.

Jane Carnall
"When all else fails, read the manual.
If that doesn't work, do what it says."