RE: Reasons not to use Courier font

Subject: RE: Reasons not to use Courier font
From: "Beth Kane" <bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:56:26 -0700

I'm surprised that so many people seem to be saying that Courier's logical
replacement is Times (New Roman). Times is another font that needs to get
the heck out of mainstream use.

Times is too compressed -- the letters are too narrow and words look
"squinched." Furthermore, these days, things written in Times looked
antiquated and boring.

If you're going to use a serif font, I believe you'll find that both
readability and aesthetics improve with fonts such as:

- (New) Century Schoolbook
- Bookman
- Garamond
- Palatino

Beth
bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com

P.S. If I were stranded on a desert island, I'd bring a clean sans serif
font (and a man, etc.).