Thanking people, WAS Squashed egos...

Subject: Thanking people, WAS Squashed egos...
From: "jane" <judydh -at- total -dot- net>
To: "Philip Sharman" <psharman -at- verity -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:25:55 -0400

>> Philip Sharman wrote:

> It doesn't give you a chance to
>blow your own horn (directly) but it does provide a nice way to point out
>all the things that went on besides "beautifying" the document. And your
>team members will sure appreciate you for it. Besides, to be fair,
>managers often don't know the amount of extra work that has gone into a
>project and who did what.
>
>I wish I had done more of it. There was one fellow, in another department,
>who was incredibly helpful once, and I never publicly thanked him for
>it. I still feel bad about that.

This week, while I was sitting in my history class [note to Montrealers: if
you ever get a chance to listen to Graeme Decarie, history prof at
Concordia, lecture, JUMP! He's old and may retire any time now], a
discussion about imagination ensued. I got to thinking "i just don't have as
much as I used to", and I concluded that about the most imaginative thing I
can do within the bounds of my job was to create a Documentation award to
give to people when they're helping me out (OTOH, I give incentives
vis-a-vis Jolly Rancher candy).

Actually, I must have some imagination to have a paragraph segue like that
one just did. Anyway, back to work: I'm already stretching my imagination by
doing a 'credits' image to go into the master TOC help book--it's going to
be an 'easter egg', untitled, unreferenced. Got that idea from the list. I
also can hardly wait until my big I've-gotta-pester-everybody project is
over, 'cause I'm going to throw a party.

This is the first "thank you" stuff I've planned. Hope I'm on the right
track.

Have a good one,

jane